From everyone here at Town & Country Realty, Inc., we want to wish you a safe and happy 2017 Labor Day!
Labor Day started as a part of the labor union movement, to recognize the contributions of men and women in the US workforce; however, now, it is mostly seen as a chance to celebrate the last weekend of summer.
Did you know?:
- The first celebrated US Labor Day was on Tuesday, September 5, 1882 in New York City, planned by the Central Labor Union.
- 10,000 workers marched from City Hall all the way to 42nd Street and then met with their families in Wendel’s Elm Park for a picnic, concert, and speeches.
- Oregon was the first state to celebrate Labor Day as a legal holiday in 1887.
- The decision to make Labor Day the first Monday of September was approved on June 28, 1894.
- Americans worked 12-hour days seven days a week during the 19th century!
- The Adamson Act was passed on September 3, 1916, to establish an eight-hour work day.
Planning on throwing a Labor Day/End-of-Summer party? We have the perfect recipes for you!
- Pimento-Jalapeno Cheeseburgers
- Sweet-and-Sour Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Party Shrimp
- Grilled Ranch Potatoes
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Corn
- Giant Chipwich Cake
- Banana Split Kabobs
Safe travels and Happy Holiday!